The day before, we put 2 empty wine bottles in the kiln to fuse flat. It took the WHOLE day to heat these to get the results we were looking for. Several different ramps of heating went from 10 am to 8pm, and finally we turned off the kiln to cool off before we slept. This morning we hurried to the kiln to see the results and were thrilled to see it worked! We have the power to flatten a wine bottle! Of the two we put in, the clear bottle (a fine cabernet) had a bit of opaque texture going on, but the green bottle of "Two Buck Chuck" worked perfectly. Here are the before and after results of the two.
I've given the green bottle a little beautifying with some chain and glass beads.
Here's the clear bottle. Not quite good enough to use.
Here's the green bottle, fresh from the kiln.